art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

5/7/13

around israel: a garden nursery


Last month a friend invited me along on a shopping trip to a garden nursery knowing I would like a few plants for my balcony. Me being car-less and not to excited about riding the bus home with plants in tow, I jumped at the chance.


I wish I would have thought to ask the owner the shop name in English.


I would like to mention it's not easy to shop in Israel. All Jewish owned businesses close about 2 pm on Fridays and all of Saturday, the Sabbath. And guess when days off from work are? Yes, the same days — Fridays and Saturdays. As Israel is a Jewish state that pretty much covers most establishments and even transportation. No train, no sherut and no city bus to get around.
 

But there is a small population of Christian Arabs with shops who are open on Fridays and Saturdays, but closed on Sundays. And this nursery is one of them. I was impressed with the variety of flowers and landscaping plants available, and even recognized some of the flowers such as marigolds, pansies and geraniums. There were many unknown but wonderful flowers, and they remain unknown since I can't read labels in Hebrew. :-)

Hand painted dishes like these are one of my favorite things.

 Israeli has perfect climate for orchids!

I chose a simple flower box and they planted my selected flowers. All I had to do was water when I got it home! This is the newly planted photo.

My flower box today. Hoping the marigolds will come back. Trailing geranium on the right. Sweet pea going up.

I couldn't resist this sweet little bird bath to add a bit of charm.

This little balcony garden is just enough to tide me over for the next year.

7 comments:

  1. Hi! Beautiful orchid shots. I like the first photo very much.
    Israel is very famous for beautiful flower country among enthusiastic flower lovers(fanciers).
    Wishing you a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Minoru. Yes, I agree, Israelis love flowers! The flowers blossoming here are very abundant and colorful. I love it! Thank you for your visit.

      Delete
  2. that's a neat peep into life there. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came by Pearl! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flower box. I love orchids and have been able to have a few rebloom. It is a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried to grow an orchid, but I am certainly enjoying them here. I'm working on keeping a Boston fern alive :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love that! Hmmm I wonder if a nursery here would do the same thing for me for my new front deck?...and the birds would ADORE a birdbath there. By the way, those plates are absolutely gorgeous!! great pics!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...