art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

4/5/13

focus on life: up close

Start exploring the details of the ordinary up close and
glimpse a world that you may never have noticed until you observed it magnified!



 That's our prompt for week 14 of Sally's Focus on Life series!  This theme was not as easy as I thought it would be. All week I remained indecisive on what subject to focus my camera on. "Up close" felt intimidating as I haven't learned the ins and outs of my camera's macro mode, although I use it regularly, in ignorance mind you.  :-)


Hoping inspiration would strike, I emptied my handbag of all personal everyday items, looking for the "ordinary", and there it was. Money. Israeli banknotes with lots of color and design! I had no idea how colorful until looking through the lens at all the patterns and shapes, in shades of rust, purple, green, sepia and more. Each note represents some aspect of Israel's history (or men!), much like printed paper money in most countries, I expect.


As I was snapping away, noticing details I wasn't aware of until now, I wanted to learn more. Not having time to do the research, I found basic information on Wikipedia, entitled "Israeli New Shekel".


 Most of the time I use 20, 50 and 100 shekel banknotes. As of this post, 20 shekels is about 5 US dollars, 50 shekels about 13 dollars and 100 shekels would be just over 27 dollars. Israeli banknotes are slightly larger than American bills and feel a bit different. In the photo above, the number "50" printed repetitively inside the gold "50" is barely visible, if at all, on the full size note.


That's probably more than anyone reading this post wants to know about Israeli money! At least I cut my final photo selection in half before posting. You've been spared, as I really got into it! 



Once again, a big THANK YOU to Sally for giving me the opportunity to see the unique in the ordinary! Please check Sally's blog, The Studio Sublime, for more of the ordinary "up close"!

  

35 comments:

  1. Wow, the macro setting on our cameras is a gateway into another world! Who would have thought money could be so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought too, Beti! It's fascinating.

      Delete
  2. How colorful and interesting the money is! It's amazing the detail you see in macro shots. It's my favorite kind of photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's my favorite kind as well. I got out the manual for my camera thinking this was the perfect time to learn more, but I never opened it, as I waited too long to figure out what to shoot!

      Delete
  3. Oh, very beautiful photos. It's so detailed and it makes me wonder how intricate the money making process was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I wonder how and who designs items like this. I'm sure there's more to learn if I can take the time to surf the net :-)

      Delete
  4. amazing photos! once again, the ordinary becomes extraordinary when you really, really look! fantastic post - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  5. What a great subject for our project this week. This was my first exposure to Israeli currency and I enjoyed learning a bit more about it - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Paula! Thanks for coming by :-)

      Delete
  6. Canadian money is really pretty too! Ours has just started being reissued as plastic.. Suppose to last longer! I'd be scared to empty my purse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up Canadian money and at first glance it looked a lot like Israeli currency! Names like "loonie" sure make it fun to learn about :-)

      I use as small of a purse as possible!

      Delete
  7. Great colours and detail. I'll have to take a look at our Australian notes to see if there are any interesting details like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoever thought money could be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great piece! I would love to see the rest. Like you I love doing the macro thing. And learning about new things is also fun. As in the US, the paper money here has all kind of little colors and symbols and such. I bet it would be fascinating to research it. Thanks for the info, it was fun to read and see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so interesting: learning about other cultures through the most ordinary object; your pictures are beautiful and full of lovely details. I love to check details on money - our bills have a women on them, the Queen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alicia. It's the ordinary objects of our everyday lives that give the most interesting insights and connect us to each other.

      Delete
  11. Great photos, and such wonderful colors! I love looking at foreign money. I find our U.S. bills are rather boring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your choice for this pic is very interesting. Thanx for the lesson on money.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! great patterns on those notes ... interesting designs too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Israeli bills are so colorful - much like our Canadian money. Some people think ours is play money :) I have to say that Macro does bring out the finer details that we normally would overlook. I need to go buy a macro lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine. I didn't use a macro lens, but my Canon Powershot has a "macro mode" setting.

      At first I thought the Israeli money seemed like play money! And if I'm not careful how I use the paper bills, I could get a ton of coins back. Which is no fun!

      Delete
  15. I love it, Debi! What a great idea! I particularly like the one with the eyeglasses and pen...very cool! I love collecting different coins for use in my jewelry, and would be thrilled to speak with you about either trading you for some Canadian coins, or paying for some Israeli ones to be sent to Canada. Any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea and I would love to help you! I will email shortly :-)

      Delete
  16. Wow Debi, love the close up shots of the money! The colors and designs are amazing.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  17. Most foreign currencies are works of art compared to US money. It looks almost like fabric in macro

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cool take on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are awesome photos. I love the textures on the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great shots! I love foreign currency. So colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you everyone! I'm happy I made the choice to share Israeli money and that many of you found this post interesting. It's always fun to learn new things through photography!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That reminds of the joy I used to feel when I was a kid looking at my stamp collection...little works of art that some countries chose to put out there in the world...and it looks like money is the same..really beautiful job capturing this up close!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, you have some very pretty money! Thanks for the up-close pics!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I love these! I could have looked at more! It is amazing all the details and intricate designs, colors and patterns not visible without the help of the macro. beautiful job capturing this weeks prompt!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...