art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

4/12/13

focus on life: aged beauty

Aged pieces have a beauty all their own, a beauty that draws us in to look a little deeper into a past time.  
 
This week focus on the aged beauty that may be an old building or an aging vehicle in a parking lot, items in a local barn, flea market, garage or in your jewelry box and snap a shot of a vintage beauty!  


It's week 15 of the Focus on Life year long photo series and I'm having so much fun being a part of this wonderful group! I don't have any vintage or old items in my possession currently, but I am surrounded by "aged beauty" in Israel! I am in awe when I think of how incredibly close I am to the relics and ruins of lives of people from thousands of years ago, well before the time of Christ.

Last month I visited the ancient coastal city of Caesarea, south from Haifa (where I live) and north of Tel Aviv. Caesarea was built during the Persian rule, between 586-332 BCE, by the Phoenicians. This port city has a long and interesting history of rulers and time periods. It felt almost reverent to be stepping along the same stone walkways as a local might have done so long ago. Who were they and where were they going? What was their day-to-day life like and what did they think about as they moved through the day?

One of my favorite websites, Sacred Destinations, has a nice page describing the historical events and prominent people of Caesarea. 

I have many more photos and hope to post a collection of the best ones in the near future. Today I chose a few of my favorites.


Fortress wall built by Arabs or Crusaders.
Detail pattern of floor tile in a bathhouse during Herod's time.

Ruins of a (luxurious) public bathhouse

Structural relic

Remains of an "artificial" harbour


 I can't wait to see what my fellow bloggers will post about this week's prompt! Please visit The Studio Sublime to see!



20 comments:

  1. wow! i'd LOVE to visit caesarea - i studied classics and theology, and it featured a lot :) your photos are just stunning - i think i like the fortress wall pic best... a really great post!
    have a wonderful week :)
    no. 21

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I really like the same photo too. It's also one of the first shots I took during my visit.

      Delete
  2. I wish I was somewhere warm! Love your pictures especially the harbour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos! There is nothing like an old building, the history, the touch, the sights. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would absolutely love to travel through this part of the world and learn more about older civilizations. What an amazing place you are living in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have to remember how amazing it is. Now that I'm living here the day-to-day routine of life can kind of remove me from the significance of my surroundings. We human sure are funny like that.

      Delete
  5. I am in love w/your photos - especially that first one. I almost posted pics of my trip to Rome last year,...the history and stories all these roads and stones could tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rome is a playground for a photographer! All of Italy is! I'd love to see your photos sometime. Maybe another prompt will fit for Rome!!

      Delete
  6. Wow how wonderful that you live in a place that has so much rich history that goes back thousands of years.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can feel overwhelming at times. So many things to see and so little time! but I'll give it my best shot :-)

      Delete
  7. Debi, The first photo is simply amazing. The way the light emerges from the narrow opening reminds me of a great spiritual presence. Thanks for the inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, Paula. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos! I especially like the first one- what an amazing piece of architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my - awesome shots and I can just imagine the awe felt when seeing these ancient ruins. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post, you are indeed, in an aged and beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful examples of old things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Living in a country where everything is so relatively new I'm jealous. I remember my trip to Italy and the feeling of so much history under my feet. Ancient places just have an aura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with Italy. I hope to visit again while I'm here - it'll be a much shorter trip for sure! I was so bug-eyed about everything there I thought my eyes would pop out. :-)

      Delete
  13. OK, really, really green with jealousy...I'm a huge lover of history and antiquities. Thanks for the link to the info about Caesarea, which I will be investigating further! Beautiful photos, looking forward to the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks LoriF and everyone for coming over and sharing your thoughts. I really enjoy giving you a glimpse of what I'm experiencing and seeing, here in Israel, through my eyes as inadequate as they are! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...