art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

3/11/13

watercolor love: playing around

My friend Kristine and I met for our second afternoon to play with and learn about watercolors. Her first love is oils, but when she learned I had some nice watercolors in my possession and I wanted to learn how to use them, she became very excited to show me what she knows. She's a wonderful teacher because we take our time, enjoy the moment and just go with it. Perfect!

This time Kristine shared some simple brush and water techniques to introduce the interaction between the two on paper. I learned how adding more than two colors to the mix could result in mud and that I really enjoyed the process of mixing. It's very exciting to see what shade emerges. I wonder, does that feeling go away after mixing hundreds of shades hundreds of times? I  hope not!




I started with a background wash without any pigment and dabbed bursts of colors into the wash while wet. I rolled my brush near the edge of the wet paper and watched the colors seep down the paper in little rivers. I let it dry and put strokes of color on top. I let it dry again and sprayed a fine mist of water and watched interesting patterns form. I'm looking forward to our next afternoon when Kristine returns from holiday in Budapest.

Interestingly enough, I came upon Lori's blog, Studio Waterstone and surprise! she recently started posting Watercolor 101 lessons!

I'll enjoy the best of both. Lori's inviting her readers to share their watercolor experiments, so I'll hop on over there and say hi! 

5 comments:

  1. So pretty, love watercolour, it's like fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your color combinations! Great job. Isn't it just luscious when the colors blend?

    I've added a link up to each Watercolor post so, if you get the chance, be sure to swing by and add your link directly to the post so that everyone else can visit you. Can't wait to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your warm encouragement, Lori! It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you started do some of the some exercises Lori wrote about on her blog. Thinking of doing any inking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beti, the timing is very interesting!! I'm still working on the ink pen step. I don't know how to draw, so it's baby steps for me!!

      Delete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...