art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

3/15/13

market day dish: vegetable curry stew


It's been awhile since I've shared a recipe.  I thought it was time for one more homemade soup recipe before the hot weather season. Although here in Israel it's close to 90 degrees today!

I picked up a lot of produce at the market, but without a specific meal plan. I also spotted some yellow curry paste I wanted to experiment with, inspired by a recent dinner I attended, in which the hostess served a traditional Indian meal. I ate way too much, it was that good, and I vowed to learn how to make a few Indian dishes myself in the near future.

Without a plan but a vague idea of a type of soup, I pulled out most of the produce in the veggie bin, staples from the cupboard and a few jars of seasonings. And the curry paste!

The result is this flavorful, but not spicy hot, thick soup. This recipe makes a lot. Use a big soup pot. I call it


Vegetable Curry Stew

Oil for the pan
2 yellow onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small can chopped roasted green chilis
1/2 c. tomato paste
1/2 c. yellow curry paste (or green for more heat)

Heat oil in pot and add all the veggies above. Saute for several minutes. Stir in the chilis and both pastes. Simmer for a few additional minutes.

Slowly add:

10-12 cups of vegetable or chicken broth. I used 2 boxes of the organic box style, called "no-chicken" chicken broth by Imagine.

Then add all of the following, stirring as you go:

4 white potatoes, chopped
4 fat carrots, chopped
2 c. chickpeas (I had the frozen kind, but canned is fine too)
1 c. dried soup mix, the kind with barley, lentils, peas, really small beans
dash or two of celery salt (the celery in Israel isn't very nice)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t cumin
1/4 t. cinnamon
several twists of black pepper

Keep on a low boil for about an hour, stirring every so often. I keep the lid partly on.

Cook for an extra half hour on simmer, with lid completely on.

Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over the hot stew (so yummy!) and top with fresh cilantro. Should freeze well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...