art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

3/29/13

focus on life: have faith

There are many of us who are religious and there are many of us who are not, but most of us religious or not have faith in someone or something. A faith that gets us through our day, a sickness or even a death. Faith is held by each of us, it is what keeps us believing that there will always be a positive outcome even if we can't see it at the time.

Bahá'i Shrine on Mount Carmel, Haifa, Israel

This week's Focus on Life prompt by Sally is "Have Faith". This is the first week I've struggled with the prompt, since joining this series, but I didn't want to opt out. I couldn't think of an image that would convey or represent my idea of faith. I usually don't mention my Faith here, although I share links to it on my link list. The subject of religion seems to be fairly taboo in North American culture, at the least not something that's talked about casually. I spent all week mulling it over, and now it's the last day. :-)

The irony of it is that I'm living and serving at the spiritual and administrative center of the Bahá'i Faith in Israel, with many sacred Holy places nearby, like the Shrine (above), and yet I find my faith tested almost daily. Moving to Israel (in 2011) and adjusting to a new culture, being in such close proximity to the heart of the Bahá'i Faith, (as well as the origins of Christianity and Judaism) has a certain intensity unlike anything I've experienced.

I chose one of the doors to the Shrine of The Báb, to physically represent my Faith. I enter this door often, to pray to God for detachment, patience, perseverance, steadfastness, and strength, all of which assist me in times of tests or troubles.

One of my prayer books

"O Lord my God! Assist Thy loved ones to be firm in Thy Faith, to walk in Thy ways...  'Abdu'l-Bahá


One of the main principles of the Bahá'i Faith is to promote unity amongst all humanity, including religions, as well as races, cultures, etc. I'm really open and interested in reading everyone's thoughts on faith! Thank you for the thought-provoking prompt, Sally. You can join me to read more posts on faith at Sublime Studio.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful and mysterious photographs. I like your topics of prayer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice feeling when we can relate through words. :-) Thank you Beti!

      Delete
  2. I like that your faith is to promote unity. Wish there were more of that in the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harmony, unity and tolerance would change SO much of what's wrong in the world...the injustices...etc. I better not start! :-)

      Delete
  3. You took such a leap of faith when you moved to Israel. That definitely took courage. Great photo of the door to the shrine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm not sure how much was faith or ignorance! Only partly joking! As an American I see now how native I was about what other countries can be like. My perspective has shifted to a higher level of gratefulness.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful photo of the Shrine. Your faith must be very strong to live and work where you do. Thank you for sharing this part of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your faith sounds like one I could get behind. Thanks so much for sharing. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shrine is breath-taking. I especially like how the tree is reaching up through the archway, pointing toward the heavens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If only all faiths would promote unity...
    The photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The qualities you pray for truly resonated with me. Especially the first -detachment- because it's not something I would have thought of, but detachment is so important in truly hearing the meanings behind other people's words.

    Best wishes to you, and I have faith that your prayers will be answered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Detachment can apply to so many areas of our lives. It's one virtue I am always calling on for an extra helping of!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful photo. It is interesting reading this little bit about the Baha'i faith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your comments here. It has been wonderful visiting your blogs and learning new ways of viewing "faith".

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post. Also very interesting. I had not heard of this faith before and I looked it up after reading here. How wonderful, peaceful and tolerant. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...