art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

7/18/12

bead shop finds and more


Allenby Street. The bead shop is in the next block on the left.
I took a much needed day off today and chose to walk to the bead shop in 90 plus degree weather, which is best described as "sauna-like".  Why I don't know, but I survived. It may have been the umbrella and the water bottle I packed. I felt like the condensation on a glass of water. Drip. Drip. Drip.

The morning was spent perusing beads and other goodies. I have several requests for bracelets to make, in a variety of color combinations, so I needed to add a few more color selections to my bead stash from home. While shopping I could hear the owner's grandson playing something like "The Star Spangled Banner" on the harmonica. I think that's the title...or is it "God Bless America"? Whatever the song is that is sung just before baseball games.

Lunch time rolled around and I was close to done when the owner's grandson invited me to join them in the back room for lunch. I sat down with three generations of men, the grandfather, his son and the grandson, and had a wonderful and simple lunch of tomato and cucumber salad, two kinds of homemade hummus and pita bread.
Bead purchases. The 29.00 price tag is in shekels, not dollars.

Our conversation was limited due to the language barrier, but it didn't stop us from enjoying the time and learning a little about each other. The grandfather has owned the shop since 1969. It was originally a sign shop. When computers took over graphics design, he chose to sell beads. Many of the beautiful beaded jewelry pieces in the shop is made by him. His grandson is fifteen and in the 10th grade. After school he is required to join the army for three years. Girls join for two years

I would have loved to have taken a photo of all three generations, but didn't want to appear rude. Maybe next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...