art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

7/6/12

market day dish: green bean wrap


I'm a believer in eating light and staying cool in the kitchen during the summer heat. I have to be craving homemade chocolate chip cookies before I'll turn the oven on.

My market day produce finds this week was a bag full of long green beans, romaine lettuce and mini tomatoes. I think they may be called "grape" tomatoes. I wasn't sure what to do with the green beans, but after surveying the fridge contents I had the perfect idea.

One of my favorite easy summer meal is a wrap. And I love the fact that just about anything can be rolled up inside and viola! it's ready to eat. For this wrap dish I happened to have a small jar of pesto on hand and the wraps of course. What isn't good with pesto!

 After washing the fresh green beans, saute them in a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil, then add some water and cover, over medium heat, until crispy firm, but easy to bite into. Do not cut the beans!

While the beans simmer, prepare the wrap by spreading the pesto sauce all over and lay lettuce on top. Cut the little tomatoes into slices (so they don't explode when you bite into them). As soon as the green beans are ready, layer them on top of the lettuce and scatter with the sliced tomatoes. You may want to sprinkle a dash of salt & pepper over all, however the pesto may have enough salt for some folks.

Roll, starting at one end, and fold the sides in before getting to the other end. If it's not big enough to fold both sides, one side folded is good enough. That can be the bottom. :-)

I like to add a side of carrot sticks and hummus for dipping. A light but filling meal!

Enjoy!!



2 comments:

  1. I've been craving green beans lately. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gives green beans a whole new taste! I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...