art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

11/28/11

poppy seed bread


This recipe for Poppy Seed Bread is one of my fondest memories of my grandmother's baking and the best quick bread I've ever eaten! It may not be the healthiest, which is why I only bake it once a year or so. You can dress it up by drizzling a sugar icing over the top of the loaf or add fresh strawberries to the plate when serving.

I have reduced the amount of sugar considerably from the original recipe. Everything else remains the same. I haven't tried it yet, but it occurred to me that the oil could be reduced and the same amount of liquid replaced by increasing the milk. It might be worth an experiment.

This bread makes a wonderful gift, and in this case I gave several loaves to friends before I left for Israel. Makes two loaves.


Poppy Seed Bread

In a large bowl cream together (using a hand mixer):

3 eggs
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. oil (I use olive oil)

In another bowl sift together:

3 C. unbleached flour (could try half whole wheat pastry flour)
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. poppy seeds

Add the dry mix to the creamed mixture alternately with 1 1/2 C. milk.

Lastly stir in:

1 1/2 t. almond flavoring
1 1/2 t. vanilla flavoring

Divide batter into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake in a 350 oven for almost one hour. Check for doneness by poking the center with a toothpick. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing or wrapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...