art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

7/18/11

spinach and tofu quiche: for the meatless monday crowd


Spinach and Tofu Quiche
I'm not a huge fan of tofu, but this is one dish I've stuck by for many years. Even my kids enjoyed it, though they didn't know they were eating tofu! I confessed years later.

I've had this recipe for so long I don't remember where I found it. It's been altered over the years to the current version. What's great about this dish is the flexibility to use cheeses you may have on hand, or even replace the spinach with chopped broccoli or chard. For the crust I've used a recipe from "The Joy of Cooking" and replaced some of the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour. I've also used shortening that does not have hydrogenated oils. You may want to prep the tofu and spinach beforehand.



SPINACH AND TOFU QUICHE

Mix in a large bowl:

4 T. cornstarch
1 C. cold water

Blend in a blender:

2 eggs
1 C. lowfat cottage cheese
1/3 C. feta cheese
1 box soft tofu-DRAINED WELL 

I wrap the tofu (out of the package) in paper towels and set a large can on top to help squeeze the water out. After blending, add this mix to the cornstarch bowl, and fold in the following:

1 10 ounce box of frozen spinach, cooked and drained well, or use fresh
1 C. shredded cheddar cheese,or a blend of jack, etc
1 small onion, chopped
Dash of nutmeg and black pepper

Pour into an unbaked pie shell. If you are using a small pie shell, this filling may stretch to TWO shells. It does not rise during baking. Bake about 45 minutes to one hour. Done when toothpick comes out clean and the top is slightly brown around edges. Don't over-bake, it may dry out.

Nice sides might be roasted carrots and green salad. Freezes well too. Enjoy :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks fantastic! My hubs is a vegetarian and I'm always looking for new, delicious recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! One can never have enough recipes! Specially meatless. Save a cow!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...