art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

4/5/11

change is in the air

Coral Peony Fine Art Photography by Judy Stalus of New Hampshire


It feels great to come out of the long cold Winter into the warmth and hope of Spring. I never fail to feel a sense renewal, which for me, also triggers motivation for change. More than ever Spring reminds me of living simple and the joy of less. The urge, almost a drive, to lighten my load even further, has taken hold.

Interesting that the Fall season has an almost opposite effect. A feeling of settling in, gathering supplies for the winter days of baking and cooking, or perhaps a favorite hobby to enjoy.

I thought I had trimmed my household last year, but no, I feel a strong need to take it to a new level. At the same time I'm thinking about what kinds of healthy habits can I adopt to improve my health, especially after such a stressful season personally. Did I maintain my usually consistent workout routine? No! Did I focus on eating sensibly and stay away from junk food? No! Did I get enough rest and go to bed when that little voice would say, "it's getting late..."? No!

I want my energy back. I want to sleep peacefully. I want to open my closet and see space between the hangers. (Almost there, but not quite.) I want to know I could pick up and move without too much trouble and fit into a space one third the size of my current home. (And I may do just that some time this year!) I want to eat healthy without a lot of fuss or expense. That's all. :-)

The following blogs and links are my inspiration:

Miss Minimalist shares a wonderful post about wardrobes and how to pare down smartly.

Rachel Meeks blogs about her simple daily living. Very enjoyable to visit, specially now as she writes about living in Italy. (My dream one day...)

Scott has a guest post on Zen Habits "The Zen of Real Food".

Jason Billows is tackling a 30 day no wheat diet that sounds so interesting I thought I'd try it too. It's just 30 days and he has such an encouraging attitude, I can't help but join him. 

Interesting read about creating a healthy non-toxic home by Organic Grace.


Is anyone else "unfurling" their petals this Spring and creating change? Please share! :-)
 

10 comments:

  1. I've been making changes since August. It started with me and my health, and I've been moving on to home and landscape. De-cluttering, painting, and some neat projects. I'm off to check out the blogs you mentioned, and it was nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Debi! I too am feeling the need to downsize my household. I've owned my house for about 12 years, and it's amazing how much stuff I have accumulated! As I do my cleaning/sorting anything that is usable I offer through Freecycle.org and if it's not taken there, I take items to my local Goodwill. I don't like to throw anything away that's still usable! My little way of helping the environment.

    I've also bookmarked the gluten free blog...I have found since I'm not eating "right" my energy levels have plummeted, especially at work...so that needs fixing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Della! Thanks for stopping by. Health is such a fragile thing and we don't realize how much it affects our life until we don't have good health! I wish you the best of luck with your latest health challenges. Very nice to meet you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm slowly working my way through the house, trying to reorganize and get rid of anything extra. Thanks for the inspiration to keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Michele

    In a previous post I mention what I have done with my unwanted items.

    http://oneheartsblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/simplifing-my-home-progress-update.htm

    Very little actually gets thrown away. I've also adopted better habits to NOT bring more stuff home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Link didn't work. Amazing that one little letter can make such a difference!

    http://oneheartsblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/simplifing-my-home-progress-update.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is gorgeous, thanks for including my peony photo.
    I think flowers are as necessary as food for my personal health.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree, Judy! I can't think of too many other things that lift the spirits like flowers. Your blog is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very inspiring Debi, and getting rid of accumulated stuff has been on my list for awhile now...I'd best get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, thank you Debi for your thoughtful comment on my Crystal Fire post. I appreciate it very much.

    I agree with you regarding feeling change and growth in the spring. I do too. We would like to downsize our life and are starting to sort and pass on articles we no longer need. Thanks for the links.

    Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...