art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

3/25/11

in her words: lauren snyder - recycled paper mosaics

These beautiful works of art, created into mosaics from bits of greeting cards, magazine clippings, wrapping paper, and other various recycled paper scraps, are not only amazing, but earth friendly! I've never seen bits and pieces of paper look so great!

Created by Lauren Snyder, from California, she shares that "art is the medium in which I can express the things I just don't know how to say. I feel emotions with great intensity and my work is my expression of that. It's part of the reason I use bright colors, bold images, and intense outlines"

In her words:

"I am the person who literally mourns for others' sorrows, rejoices in their triumphs and has compassion for their challenges and who strives every day to live as lovingly and compassionately as I can. One of my greatest inspirations is his holiness the Dalai Lama and there is one quote in particular that really speaks to the way I try to live my life:

"Everyday, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can." 
 
Every single piece I create comes from a place of love and is inspired by the beauty and love within this world. Even when terrible tragedies occur or it seems like there is so much evil abounding; I try to create something beautiful, in the hopes that it can ignite a loving spark in even just one person's heart."

Lauren shares a little about each piece below:


Mother Earth


This piece was inspired by the beauty of the natural world and the maternal way in which the earth nurtures us. I had the idea to do an earth inspired piece for a while; but it wasn't until I was flipping through some old photos I'd taken when I was pregnant with my son, that I found the inspiration I was looking for. It made the entire work so much more personal, to be looking at my own pregnant belly, while I was drawing. My favorite works are ones that come from very specific events or moments in my own life, yet still speak on a more universal scale.




For Love of He'ART


This piece is purely an homage to the creative arts. The love I have for creativity of all kinds is very deep; from art, to writing, to music, acting and beyond. I like to think of it as my fun little love note to creativity and artistic expression.



Peace ACEO


This miniature work, was my little moment of happiness on a bad day. This one, unlike most of my other work, was completed in one day and it was something that made me smile and was a way to bring a little peace to my heart.


Peaceful Blue Buddha


This piece was inspired by the Buddha. I read quotes from the Buddha on an almost daily basis to help find calm and to center myself. I decided that I wanted to created something that took those words and transformed them into art.


Three Things: Henna Hand, Heart and Knot

"My father said on his 25th wedding anniversary, "There are three things that are key to a successful marriage. You have to be a partner, a lover, and a friend. Working together as a team, sharing intimacy, and enjoying one another's company are important parts of what makes for a lasting fulfilling relationship."


Please visit Lauren's Etsy shop for more mosaic paper art.



:: :: ::


9 comments:

  1. Yes, this artist's work appears to come from a very tranquil place. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pieces and learning the concept and ideas behind them, wonderful article Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to hear an artist discussing their work. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love knowing what's behind a piece! Your Dad sounds like a real gem! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative and nice, love her work

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great feature. I love Lauren's work, and what she had to say about it was very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always interesting to hear what an artist has to share about their work and inspiration. I love that paper is being reused in a creative way. I really like the "Three Things" story too.

    A shout out to you, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this interview! Lauren's work and beautiful energy comes through so strongly :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...