art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

1/11/11

write for rights: a letter from amnesty international

In December I picked up my pen for justice and participated in my first Write for Rights letter campaign. The following email is from Michael O'Reilly, the Senior Campaign Director, Individuals at Risk for Amnesty International. I don't think he would mind a post sharing the wonderful news in this form letter, as a result of the actions of people all over the world!! 

Dear DJ,


The Write for Rights stories are pouring in! We've enjoyed hearing about all the great Write for Rights activities that took place around the world - in coffee shops, libraries, schools and homes, we all came together to defend human rights. Collectively, our actions resulted in a thrilling human rights victory: the December release of Femi Peters in Gambia.


When you picked up a pen for justice this year, you made a real difference not only for Femi Peters and his family, but in the lives of so many others. No number of letters is too small: Every letter counts in the fight against injustice.


Your participation in this year's Write for Rights campaign helped give Femi Peters' son, Femi Junior, the "biggest Christmas present ever": getting his father back. "On behalf of my family, the Peters family, on behalf of myself," he said, "I want to thank Amnesty International from the bottom of my heart... It's good to have my dad back."


These kinds of human rights successes can't happen
unless we present a united front worldwide. The letters you sent
and the care that you demonstrated were matched by fellow Amnesty
members around the globe:
  • In France, more than 200 cities hosted public Write for Rights events.
  • In Mali, students from 10 schools jointly generated several thousand letters.
  • In Hong Kong, Amnesty members integrated their event into a well-attended 
  • Human Rights Day Fair.
  • In Poland, a school in a town of only 1,000 inhabitants managed to produce
  • nearly 15,000 letters!

This year, 1,300 Write for Rights events took place across the US. 
And many more people participated as individuals, writing and sending
their letters from home.


Thank you for taking the time to participate in this year's Write for Rights campaign.
Your letters delivered hope to Femi Peters and his family. And your letters also 
carried a message of justice that will continue to be heard around the world.


Sincerely,
Michael O'Reilly
Senior Campaign Director, Individuals at Risk
Amnesty International USA

I got my father back




3 comments:

  1. That's wonderful that you picked up your pen and took action!

    Thank you for sharing the reply.

    ope you'll stop by my blog today. I have a very special post.

    <><

    Today's blog post
    A tribute to my husband on the 10th anniversary of his death
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com/2011/01/tuesday-remembering-my-husband.html


    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. as usual for nice article ,this is to say that ,we always need to participate in life ,and that we can make a difference .
    Keep it up
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement. I always appreciate your visits!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...