art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

1/29/11

chicken tortilla soup: warms the soul

Recently my good friend, Susan, of Beaded Art Jewelry , and I met for a metal art play date at her studio in Black Forest. Susan served this delicious soup, but couldn't give me a recipe as it wasn't written down. After describing what was in it, and me taking metal notes, here's a pretty close copycat. Absolutely perfect for a cold winter day.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cubed

In a soup pot brown the chicken in olive oil. Take the meat out and set aside for a few minutes. In the same pot on medium heat, add all the veggies and garlic below. Sautee a few minutes, stirring a few times.

2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 nice size carrots, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 small can of diced green chilies-your heat preference
(I used mild, but may try medium next time)
4 or so cloves of garlic, chopped

Once the veggies are sauteed, add the chicken back in with the following:

3 cans of chicken broth (I used low sodium) or 6 cups of your own chicken stock
1 can of pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 t. red pepper
1/4 t. black pepper
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
1 t. cumin (more if you really like it)
2 bay leaves
salt as you wish or wait

Simmer for 2 hours, covered. Stir every so often. When ready to serve add shredded jack/cheddar cheese and broken up corn tortilla chips. Eat right away! Freezes well.


Susan's cabin studio

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. This sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I used to not like any kind of soups but the older I get the more I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is perfect, really! I didn't used to like soup much myself, but they are so easy, economical and full of good things to eat. And a big plus is leftovers, which means less cooking in the end! What's more perfect than that?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...