art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

12/31/10

a cold but homey start to the new year

Doodle art by Artysville

I unexpectedly spent a quiet COMPUTER-LESS day at home today. I often wake up and post something fresh in the morning, but my PC was down all day and a snowstorm came through yesterday and into the night, leaving snow-packed streets and bitter cold temperatures. As in single digits! (So I wasn't going anywhere!)

I spent the time reflecting on my year just past and what I'd like to accomplish in 2011.

I also made time to enjoy baking bread and cooking Italian Lentil soup. I know black eyed peas are traditionally cooked at New Years, but I'm not one for following tradition too seriously.  I didn't take any photos, but I do want to share this very tasty recipe with you. It's hearty and thick. The perfect soup for a weekend dinner at home. Plus its easy and ready in no time! Don't forget the crusty bread.


Italian Lentil Soup

2 medium carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 T. olive oil
3 C. water
2 C. vegetable broth or 1 cube bullion plus 2 C. water
1/2 small head green cabbage, chopped in 1" pieces
1 C. dry lentils, rinsed and drained
1 C. tomato puree or small can of tomato paste
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano, crushed
a few twists of black pepper

In soup pot or dutch oven saute carrots, celery, and onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until crisp tender.

Stir in water, broth, cabbage, lentils, tomato product, sugar, salt, oregano and pepper. Just bring to a boil then lower to a simmer with pot covered. 

Cook 45 minutes or until lentils are soft. That's it! Makes enough for 5 main-dish servings.

NOTE: I've had this recipe for some time and made changes to it. Its from Better Homes & Gardens magazine. This was a prize tested recipe and the winner was Dee Carona of NY.

* * * *
I'll be back after the New Year. Peace and compassion to all living creatures and this wonderful planet earth!

HAVE A SAFE NEW YEAR!!

1 comment:

  1. Staying home on New Year's Eve is a good thing!

    I stopped by the country store yesterday and the young people working there were just complaining because they had to work until 8:00 P.M. I just smiled and said, you'll still be where ever you are going in time to have fun. The girl looked at me and said you're right! LOL

    Happy New Year!

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...