art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

11/9/10

what "simple living" means to me

I haven't written about simple living since April so I'm switching gears today to post an update and share what simple living means for me.

First, I mentioned in prior posts that I was going through my stuff and unloading. I put some of my stuff aside and in August I carted it off to sell at my local outdoor flea market. In a day and a half I made a month's salary and still took half a van load to the local donation center.

It has been fairly easy to maintain my possessions at the current level and even continue to find more items to remove as I go about the business of daily living. On to my definition...

Dictionary meaning of "simple":

1. Having or composed of only one thing, element, or part.
2. Not involved or complicated; easy.
3. Being without additions or modifications.
4. Having little or no ornamentation; not embellished or adorned.
5. Not elaborate, elegant, or luxurious.
6. Unassuming or unpretentious; not affected.
_____________________________________

My idea of simple living is:

Less material possessions =

less stress
less clutter
less consumed
less space needed
less responsibility
less burden on others
less environmental impact

More =

more time
more peace
more freedom
more clarity of mind
more dollars saved

All the better to focus on important things like...

people
nature
creativity
spirituality
adventures
good health


One simple, well-known sentence I read somewhere has deep meaning for me:


"Live simply so that others may simply live."

See The Story of Stuff

What does living simpler look like for you?

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Isn't it amazing how fast we accumulate a whole house full of stuff we don't need. I think this will be my New Year's resolution this year. Thanks!

    Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know I don't even realize how much adds up so quickly when I'm not paying attention. Good luck with your resolution. It is a great feeling to have less to deal with!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...