art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

10/20/10

in her words: women around the world - by amy perrotti

I was looking around Etsy, an on-line store offering artisan handmade goods, and found these beautiful unique illustrations by artist Amy Perrotti. Not only are they wonderful to look at, but Amy celebrates the culture and womanhood of each in a way that shares similarities as well as differences. She has allowed me to share some of her wonderful artwork here!

In her words: "My husband, daughter and I became a family through international adoption. A few years ago I drew portraits of my daughter and her friends as matryoshka. I had such a good response to the matryoshka drawings that I decided to draw more. My matryoshka have design elements in common, because I wish to illustrate that we all as people have things in common. My wish is for a more compassionate and peaceful world."


Pakistani Girl by Amy Perrotti

Native American Woman by Amy Perrotti

Japanese Geisha by Amy Perrotti

Cambodian Girl by Amy Perrotti

Bahia Brazilian Woman by Amy Perrotti

Aqua Indian Girl by Amy Perrotti

American Women by Amy Perrotti


You can see more of Amy's work on Etsy
Amy's blog

A matryoshka doll, also known as a Russian nesting doll or a babushka doll, is a set of dolls of decreasing sizes placed one inside the other. The word matryoshka (матрёшка) is derived from the Russian female first name Matryona (Матрёна), and babushka (бабушка) is the Russian word for "grandmother, granny".

3 comments:

  1. I am totally charmed! Amy has captured the ethnicity of each culture and at the same time shown that there is a "oneness" of women. Thank you for a wonderful post!

    Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, I should add that my matryoshka are a celebration of women and girls. Thank you so much for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The art has a deep richness. I always enjoy the story behind the work...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...