art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

4/13/10

no-knead bread experiments = success

Walnut Raisin version

A couple of months ago I posted a fabulous No-Knead Bread recipe by Jim Lahey. Since then I have experimented with his recipe by adding herbs for a slightly different version, which I'll share below. I don't have a photo of this version as I gave most of it away right after it came out of the oven.

I finally managed to snag his very popular book from my local library, of which I can't remember the title, for his Walnut Raisin Bread recipe. I first had a few slices of this bread at a dear friend's house and wanted to eat the whole loaf, but I wouldn't have been a very nice guest.

I'm working on a multi-grain version and will post when I have a combination I like. Jim has a whole wheat version in his book, but it's pretty light on the whole wheat part.

Walnut Raisin Bread

Please see the original recipe post for directions, but replace the ingredients with the following:

3 C. bread flour
1/2 C. raisins
1/2 C. walnuts, chopped
1 1/4 t. salt
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. yeast
pinch of pepper
1 1/2 C. water (maybe a bit more)

Add EVERYTHING in the same bowl in the first step.

Note: I didn't have any walnuts the first time, so I used pecans. I also used golden raisins since that's what I had, and it was a terrific combo! Oh, and I replaced one cup of the bread flour with one cup of whole wheat pastry flour. Otherwise it's the same. :-)

Wonderful toasted!!


Lemon Herb Bread 
(That's what I decided to call it)

Use ALL of the ingredients as usual in the original recipe .

ADD TO FLOUR: 1 1/2 teaspoon dried lemon peel
                          1/2 teaspoon rosemary, french cut
                          1/2 teaspoon dill seed
                          a few twists of black pepper


These loaves make great hostess gifts or as a potluck item. If you are baking for one or even two, cut loaf in half and freeze the second part.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...