art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

3/16/10

special pieces for a special friend

One of my best friends, since we were about four, asked me to make a multi-colored bead bracelet and a necklace with strands of seed beads gathered up by a few focal beads. She didn't realize she was asking me to design something a little out of my comfort zone. You would think it would be a simple matter to mix a bunch of beads together, string it into a bracelet and call it done.

Not for me. I worried about the blue shade next to the green color and the round shape too close to another round shape. Was it too heavy on the browns...or maybe the greens...and did I use too many squares? After working out all the details I settled on the bracelet below. It's not that this was a complicated design or technique, but I wanted it to be just right.


Below is her necklace using vintage bronze seed beads, (the sparkly small ones) copper elements, amber and turquoise. It's long enough to slip over the head. I enjoyed designing and making this piece because I love the combination of the copper metal with these stones and bronze beads. I was thrilled to find these vintage seed beads, so long ago I had all but forgotten them, and now here they are in my friend's necklace. I love that!



3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Jane! My friend loves them, so I'm a happy camper :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/30/2010

    Debi,
    One of your greatest talents is working with colors. I could see the thought process that went into the bracelet, how one bead spoke to the next. I still love the pieces I bought years ago in Grand Junction, it was the colors you used that spoke to me. Do more!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...