art ~ jewelry ~ interfaith devotions ~ peace to you...

3/23/10

make your own granola

I do get tired of eating bran flakes for breakfast and I don't want to buy most of the over priced boxed stuff called cereal. Then I remembered I used to make my own granola back in the day...so I dug out this recipe for Great Granola. I call it Coconut Cashew Cinnamon Granola.

This is a simple recipe with simple ingredients. I don't remember which magazine I cut it out of, it's been twenty years ago or so. Most likely
Vegetarian Times.

I did change it up a bit. In place of the nuts you can use whatever kind of nuts you have on hand. Cashew bits and pieces work well here. Coconut is an option, and a yummy one! I used fresh coconut a friend had just cracked open at my place a few days earlier. I didn't add the raisins as I'm not much of a fan. I didn't think of it until now, but dried cranberries would be fabulous!

Great Granola

1/4 cup + a dab (1/2 stick) butter (or margarine, if you prefer)
a little less than 1/2 cup honey
4 cups rolled oats (regular or quick)
1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened, if possible
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds or chopped cashews (I mixed up both)
1 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup raisins or currants

Oven at 350 degrees

In a large bowl throw in all the dry stuff except for wheat germ and raisins.
In a pot melt the butter and honey.
Stir the melted liquid into the bowl of dry stuff and mix really well with a wood spoon.
Spread in a large cookie baking sheet with edges. Some people call them jelly roll pans.
Bake in oven for 15 minutes, STIRRING EVERY 5 MINUTES. Make sure you push mixture from the edges where it will brown faster.
Stir in the wheat germ now and bake another 10 minutes or until lightly browned. (Mine is a bit more toasty in the photo.)
Remove and stir in raisins.


Cool completely then put in air tight container.
Lasts for weeks in cupboard or much longer in fridge.


I save by buying my oats, sunflower seeds, and nuts in bulk at my local natural foods store. If you want to control your quality further choose organic items.


Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Ooh- that looks amazing. I bet I could swap the honey out for a slightly thickened simple syrup. I'm going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could easily do that. I ate some for breakfast this morning with fresh strawberries. Hmmm, it was good.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit and taking the time to write! Peace and Love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...